Friday, March 6, 2009

NC friends in Nawlins, round one.

It's midnight on a Friday in New Orleans, and I'm trying to decide what to blog about. It would make the most sense to finish some thoughts on Mardi Gras, but I'm tired of writing about it. And I'm sure whoever our readers are out there are tired of reading about it also. Maybe I'll just write. The Hornets, beignets, Chicken Mart and Chartwell are all on the mind; we'll see what we end up with.

This week some friends from home (Cory, Trent and Leo) came down to hang out. I think they had a good time. They stayed with me at the guesthouse. They would wake up and venture around the city while I was in class/at Chartwell, and I would meet up with them afterwards. They did a lot in the 4-5 days they were here: explored the Quarter, strolled through City Park, wandered the National WWII Museum (which I need to check out myself, especially since military dependents get in for $6) and stopped by CafĂ© du Monde for some beignets literally every night. Trent loved him some Beignets, I wish I had a picture for you guys, haha. When I joined them in the afternoons, we saw a free screening of Slumdog Millionaire at Tulane (thanks to the India Association of Tulane). It is such a good movie; if you haven't already seen it, you need to. It deserved all eight Academy Awards it won. Wednesday night, we went to Preservation Hall, the supposed venue where jazz was first played. We saw a band called Sharron Powell and the Preservation Hall-Stars. They were unbelievable. Every member was so good at his instrument: the trombone, trumpet, piano, and drums were all very talented. Taking several requests, and, I imagine playing some originals, they really put on a show and kept the crowd rocking. The little things they did, like mentioning "this song is a very special song - why? - because it was paaaiiid for" after each request, or carrying on a conversation with folks in the crowd between songs made it a uniquely intimate experience. If you are ever in New Orleans, it would be a shame not to see a show at Preservation Hall. Here's a video of Shannon Powell, though we didn't take it, you can get a sense of the sound.



Thursday night, we volunteered at the New Orleans Hornets game vs. the Dallas Mavericks. Seeing the game for free with some of my best friends was nice, it was especially nice to see Chris Paul make Jason Terry, Jason Kidd and the Mavericks' idiot of an own Mark Cuban look like fools. Notice Cuban's disgust and the Slumdog reference as the video cut out at the very end, haha.



The energy in that building as the Hornets began to pull away was incredible. It was almost as exciting as a Carolina game, almost. I even found myself chanting Chris Paul's chant, C-P-3, M-V-P. Bring the Hornets back to Charlotte...I am still bitter, but starting to come around to the move. At least we've got the Bobcats. Well, it's almost 2:00am, I've got to sleep. Looks like I'll have to save more on the Hornets, the beignets, Chicken Mart and the Chartwell Center for later posts. 

Currently watching: that Chris Paul video, for the 9th or 10th time now.

Currently listening to: The Starting Line Say It Like You Mean It

No comments:

Post a Comment