Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Traffic Stop

The traffic lights on the crossroads of Prytania and Felicity have really been playing jokes of late. Every other day it seems the light refuses to work and thus leaves cars in a congested line filling the area in which we live in single-file. I'm not sure if anyone ever plans on fixing the problem but it sure is entertaining to watch as I get back from class...using my clearly more reliable streetcar. Yeah..no. The transportation in New Orleans really is a curiosity. No native who can afford a car actually knows the streetcar schedule. Others rely on it everyday to get to and from work, or to and from class in our case. Some days the streetcar is late, others it's early, and then there's the unfortunate times when it just doesn't show up (particularly the last few late night runs). I wonder if anyone's gotten fired because of the streetcar? It's pretty erratic, and yet oh how I lovee the streetcars. I'm definitely going to miss seeing a new smiling face everyday and the grandmothers who never fail to tell you how their day is going. Today, I sat between a group of 4 kids riding back from Canal with their skateboards. They'd been practicing grinding down the streets, each just picking up the sport in the past 3 or 5 months. One of the younger kids had signatures on the bottom of his board and I asked the rest of them where their signatures were. They said it wasn't on there and I asked the kid with the board why. He said he didn't have a marker and so I pulled one out of my bag and handed it to him. He smiled as if he knew he no longer had an excuse. His friends began to sign it and after the boy next to me offered me the marker back, I playfully nodded and said naturally I'd sign too. I was teasing but he let me and then before I knew it, the other three asked me to sign theirs. They made my day. There's always someone on the street car to make your day.

Anyways, so here's a picture of another traffic light down...both figuratively and literally. It was just lying next to VooDoo BBQ, still flash dancing it's lights from red to yellow to green. It's Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. I guess you can never know around here...


Oh don't mind that faded image to the right...it's just the ghost of Shadoe. Creeper. Haha

Currently Listening to: The Vowels by Why?
Currently Watching: UNC's Bhangra Elite at AKD in 06 I miss dancing

1 comment:

  1. I'm always afraid one of the stoplights is going to fall on me while I'm walking down the street.

    ReplyDelete